Wednesday, May 16, 2012

An Appreciation

Last Saturday, I ran my 11th race of The 31 Initiative, the JAKESTRONG 5K.  I finished in 22:00, a significant improvement over my previous week's time.  What truly made this race special, however, was the pre-race announcement from Jake's father.  He called up 4 kids who had battled cancer and shared their stories (one little boy was in kindergarten and had a successful bone marrow procedure).  It truly made you appreciate life and put things in perspective.  I've run a lot of races over the years but never started one wiping a tear from my eye until last Saturday.


1 comment:

trevandcyndi said...

I was just looking through some pictures that I took last week at the JAKESTRONG 5K and noticed your T-shirt in one of the photos and thought, "huh, i wonder what the 31 initiative is all about?" So I looked it up and it brought me to your blog... Your commitment is admirable. It's great awareness for a great cause! Best of luck raising awareness and, more importantly, research funds!