Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Close Call and Hello Fall

2 more races are in the books since my last post:

"A Close Call" - on Labor Day, I ran the Leap for the Ligers 5K in Upper Arlington, OH.  As I do with all of my races, I check the race details the night before.  For this race, the website listed the race start time at 9:30am.  Since I had not picked up my race number and t-shirt, I left about 40 minutes prior to the start time.  Interestingly, when I arrived at 8:57am, I overheard someone on the loudspeaker say "the 5K will start in 3 minutes".  That doesn't sound right, I thought.  I picked up my pace and ran to the check in table.  I learned the website INCORRECTLY listed the start time - it was 9:00, NOT 9:30!  I quickly pinned on my race number and ran to the starting line. The horn sounded and I ran the race finishing in 21:21.  I was pretty pleased with this time considering my normal starting routine was thrown out the window.

"Hello Fall" - today, I ran the Dash for Dad 5K in Gahanna, OH.  Fortunately, I did not have any of the previous week drama.  The temperature was perfect (58 degrees) and it felt like a fall race (which I welcome wholeheartedly).  The course was also well laid out (albeit a little hilly).  I ran 21:17.

Next week is a homecoming for me.  I will run in the Delphos Canal Days 5K on Sunday, September 16.  Delphos, OH is the town I grew up in and where my parents, brother, and other relatives and friends still reside.  I can't wait to run in "America's Friendliest City".  Several friends and family members are running in the race as well (including Jay, my brother, and my wife) and I can't wait to root everyone on before and after the race.

28 races down, 3 to go in The 31 Initiative.    

No comments: